Care background.jpg

Candle Care

Thank you for purchasing a Burton & Webb Candle, we hope you love them as much as we do.


You may have noticed your candle is a little different from other candles. For a start we use wooden wicks which give a much larger flame than normal candles that usually use a form of cotton wick. This produces a large and beautiful flame which gently flickers and gives off a faint warming crackle sound.

We also use 100% pure beeswax for our candles, nothing added, just filtered to remove any organic impurities. Our beeswax is locally sourced, smells amazing and burns more slowly than other waxes. Beeswax expands when heated and contracts when cooling, especially when cooled quickly. Because of this on occasion, usually in colder rooms, you may get a crack forming on the surface after use when the candle is cold. This is purely cosmetic and will disappear when the candle is lit again, it is a sign that your candle is natural and pure.

Please follow the steps below to get the best out of your candle;

  • When your candle arrives we will have trimmed the wick to the correct size ready to go.

  • When you light your candle make sure the whole wick is lit.

  • You can use the lid as a coaster to keep your candle stable and protect your surfaces.

  • Burn your candle until you have a full melt pool (liquid wax covers the whole surface). ​

  • Only burn for 3 to 4 hours at a time.

  • When it is time to extinguish pop the lid back on, do not blow out as you could blow wax out of the pot.

When you want to use your candle again use your fingers to pinch off the loose wick that forms from burning. It comes off pretty easily. If

you don't do this you may get some soot coming off your candle for the first few minutes until the candle settles back down into its burn.

Candle Care





To keep your candle in good condition and performing perfectly, please follow these guidelines;

  • Trim excess wick before lighting to avoid sooting (Approx 5mm) 

  • Never leave a candle unattended

  • Keep away from anything that could catch fire

  • Keep candles at least 10cm away from each other

  • Keep away from children and pets

  • Keep the wax pool clear of debris

  • Always burn until you have a full melt pool

  • Use the lid to extinguish

  • Keep the lid on when not in use

Frequently asked questions

Lighting & Use

My candle has a very large flame and soot is coming off the flame, is it alright?

This can be quite common when you relight your candle and is due to wick trimming. There will be some wick left over from the last burn that didn't self trim as the process was stopped. As the new burn starts it will burn the fresh wick and the remains of the previously burning wick creating a larger flame and soot as the flame tries to burn off the excess wick. We recommend you trim the wick as detailed above before you burn, if you are already burning you can either extinguish and trim the wick a little (let the wick cool down first) or just let the candle settle back down in to its burn (usually around 10 mins or so).

My candle lights and then the flame dies after a few minutes, what should I do?

This is usually due to over trimming the wick. The flame gets hot and melts the surrounding wax which then floods the wick and extinguishes the flame. Don't worry your candle can be saved if you are very careful. When the wax melts and your flame starts to die, very carefully tilt the pot so that the melted wax travels to the edge of the pot. If your wick is very short you may need to do this a few times. Hold the pot low down as it should be cold and be careful not to burn yourself. Trim your wick as detailed above to prevent this.​

I have a crack formed in my candle, is it ok?

This can happen and is nothing to worry about. We use 100% pure beeswax nothing added except a scent where applicable. Beeswax expands more than other waxes and so when it cools, especially in cooler rooms it can contract a lot a create a crack. The crack will disappear when you light your candle again. We could combat this with coconut or palm oil, but these products are either not good for the environment and rainforest and/ or would add huge amounts to our product miles and carbon footprint. We believe it is more important to have a more sustainable and eco friendly candle that hasn't travelled tens of thousands of miles to be produced and get to you.

Why can't I get my candle to light?

This can happen from time to time. It happens when there is too much burnt wick leftover. Simple pinch off the burnt wick as discribed above and your candle should light easily.

How its made

What are your ingredients?

We use pure local beeswax, essential oils and wooden wicks made of maple. Thats it.

Where do your ingredients come from?

We source our beeswax from a local Beekeeper who has many hives in the local area and stretching down to Exmoor. They have a fantastic sustainable outlook with an emphasis on looking after their bees in a manner that is not harmful to them and promotes their wellbeing. They place bees on farms to help with pollinating crops. Our essential oils come from a small business in Norfolk. Lavender is grown in the UK, the Lemon and Orange are grown in the Mediterranean. Our wooden wicks come from FSC certified forests in USA, this is the furthest any of our products travel and we are trying to source from the UK. Our fine bone china containers are made by a small business in Stoke on Trent, and our recycled packaging is made by a small business in Sussex. We also use recycled stickers and cards from two small companies within a mile of us.​